TTC Build Off - More Progress

Spent some time this afternoon on the TTC bodies. After getting all the sides cut out and mocked up together, we determined with a little help from Jamie that the side of the body was too tall. 

 

Original mock up photo.  

Original mock up photo.  

So it was back to the drawing board as to how to solve this issue. I decided to take some material right out of the side of the truck itself. Two straight cuts and then glue it all back together. This way it took care of the height of all of the pieces at one time.  

 

Cut lines drawn.  

Cut lines drawn.  

More cut line photos.  

More cut line photos.  

I cut the sides as carefully as possible to keep the lines straight and then sanded them in a flat piece of sandpaper to get them to line up better. 

 

What everything looked like after the cut.  

What everything looked like after the cut.  

The front portion. As well as a nice shot of my glue of choice.  

The front portion. As well as a nice shot of my glue of choice.  

I proceeded to glue the pieces back to the body. I like these Mercury Adhesives products. I use the really thick green stuff for wood working. It creates such a strong bond that to get it apart you have to actually break the wood. I also just recently picked up the pink accelerator for this project. Although the green stuff dries plenty fast it is always nice to speed up the process. After gluing the pieces back together I gave everything another test fit.  

Mock up with rebuilt body sides.  

Mock up with rebuilt body sides.  

I think it looks much better now. Since that was taken care of it was time to start on the top of the cab. I took the template ant traced the top to some wood to begin cutting.  I went through the same process as cutting the body sides and ended up with 4 rough cut roof lines. 

Rough Cut Rooflines.  

Rough Cut Rooflines.  

I then clamped the roof pieces together just like the previous method with the bedsides. After clamping them together I sanded them all to the same shape. I then began to cut the top of the door frames out. It is a tedious process and I didn’t quite get it finished before the family got home.   With the door frame being 5mm thick you have to be pretty careful not to break it. 

IMAGE.JPG
Adam VanOrd