TTC Build Off - The start of an interior.

Spent more time working on this truck last night. I kept hitting hurdle after hurdle with this thing. It fell of the table and one of the bodies broke, then I was trying to rearrange some stuff that was already glued in and I broke it again. Both times were easy repairs, but they got me frustrated for sure. I started in on the doors first. I added the top of the window frames and test fitted them. There  is still a long way to go, but at least I have 4 complete doors now. 

The doors are far from perfect, but they will do for now.  

The doors are far from perfect, but they will do for now.  

After making the doors, I spent some time playing around with ride height before determining exactly what I was going to want. Once I did I added the cargo area floor.  

Floor in.  

Floor in.  

This is where everything started coming off the rails. No matter how careful I was in the beginning stages each body is different. The bed floors were not exactly the same and as a result each piece has to be custom built from there on out. At this point I decided to set one body aside and focus on just building one for now. Not only was the second body not the same, but everything was taking twice as long. (Go figure)  After deciding to concentrate on one I moved on to the cargo area details. 

Faux wheel wells and slats just like a real Willy’s  

Faux wheel wells and slats just like a real Willy’s  

I built some “wheel wells” that are actually not wheel wells at all they are solid. Additionally I added the slats like a real Willy’s.  On a side note the cargo area bed is much higher than it should actually be I believe.  This was done to accommodate he raise in the frame rails at the rear.  Sometimes when building RC bodies you have to make concessions for function.  This was one of those times, but I have a plan to make it less noticeable.

The step down will be immediately behind the drivers and passenger seats. With the roof on it will be barely noticeable.  

The step down will be immediately behind the drivers and passenger seats. With the roof on it will be barely noticeable.  

After adding these details it was time to concentrate on a floor in the passenger compartment. Unfortunately, the bottom of the doors was sitting below the top of the frame rails. Meaning that I couldn’t just add a floor that goes straight across. So.... time for another concession. I built a “step up” to accommodate the frame rails while still loooking realistic. Again I am pretty sure this is not 100% accurate to this body, but it will do the trick in a pinch. Most of the time you will never see it anyway. 

The Step Up to accommodate the floor.  

The Step Up to accommodate the floor.  

A better view.  

A better view.  

With that taken care of I turned my attention to the firewall. It was fairly easy and straight forward. I just created a cardboard template and then cut a piece of wood to shape. It is pushed all the way up the to back of he distributer for as much leg room as possible. 

 

Firewall from the engine bay.  

Firewall from the engine bay.  

Tight fit around that trans.  

Tight fit around that trans.  

After the firewall it was about 1am and I was tired and done for the night, but first I wanted to take care of something that had been bothering me. I sanded off all the excess glue from the body. I feel like people who don’t realize I will sand to shape see the glue and laugh at my poor building skills. In reality the excess glue has no bearing on anything as when I sand it goes away quite easily.  

Before sanding.  

Before sanding.  

After

After

One more sanded side shot.  

One more sanded side shot.  

Well that’s all for now. Hopefully I will be able to work on it again in the near future.  

Adam VanOrd